Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Sprained Ankle & Diabetes

sksangel2 - Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:51 am

I sprained my ankle a week ago tomorrow. I am a type II diabetic. My ankle is not only swollen and bruised it is also RED. When after it has been elevated and then I stand up and lower my leg and foot, I feel a rush of pain in my ankle without having yet put my foot on the floor yet???? It's like the blood flow is causing the pain?? Should I have concern with this????? Worried!!!!

Thank you.
 Dr. N. Haider - Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:01 am

User avatar hi there

the fact that anyone sprains one's joint leads to 'tear' or 'tension' in the ligaments that hold the joints together.
this results in an inflammatory response calling all repair cells to the damaged site.

this pain is normal which you have noticed even before keeping the foot down. as this must be caused by 'over' sensitization of the pain receptors at damaged site.

keep your diabetes in control, because a bad diabetes impairs repair. And i don't think you have to worry about this pain. it 'll settle with time.

Najaf Haider
MBBS

|