News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Prolactin Test

joann9298 - Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:33 am

I Have so many symptoms to Cushings.But have not been dx with anything. I have not had a menstrual cycle since 2002 but even before that i was not regular. My left breast started lactating around August 2005. I went to the Dr. and was told this could be normal. But she put in lab for a Prolactin test on Oct.3,2005. I got the results as "normal". I also have a 3x5mm lump on my thyroid had TSH lab done 9-15-05 came back "normal". My question is what can be the cause of lactating I am not pregnant.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:37 pm

User avatar Dear joann9298,

In Amenorrhea- galactorrhea:
After exclusion of pregnancy, hypothyroidsm, and hyperprolactinemia, other causes of secondary amenorrhea are divided according to the level of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) into:

- hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: also called hypothalamic amenorrhea, there is abnormalities in gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion and disruption of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis.

- hypergonadotropic hypogonadism: with early menopausal symptoms , in such patients cortisol , TSH and karyotype analysis should be done. The disease is usually due to autoimmune diorder.
ACTH and cortisol levels should be checked if cushing syndrome is suspected.
CT or MRI should be done to check for pituitary galnd lesions.

- normogonadotropic amenorrhea: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common cause
Females with Polycystic ovary syndromePCOS experience any of the following symptoms:
menstrual irregularity or absence of menstruation,
irregular vaginal bleeding,
pelvic pain
fertility problems
increased growth of hair
acne, oily skin, or dandruff
obesity
type 2 diabetes
high cholesterol
high blood pressure

Follow up with your doctor is essential.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here