Question: Hypothyroid replaced, still symptomatic, please help!

sleepymotheroftwo - Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:18 pm

I am a 26 year old mother of two small children and have been hypothyroid for about 4 years now. It started out as postpartum thyroiditis after my first child was born and eventually I went hypothyroid and went on replacement. Then, after the birth of my second child, 2 years ago, I again went into thyroiditis, then back to hypo. I've been on replacement since. Even though replaced and with my levels supposedly "normal", I went to my doctor multiple times in tears because of my extreme fatigue. I developed a goiter and nodules and was referred to an ENT, who told me that my level had been at around 4 and should be around 1. My dose was increased and I felt better for awhile, but for about a year and a half now I've been extremely fatigued again with a mirage of odd symptoms: hair loss, sensation of being so cold every afternoon that I have to take a hot bath to warm up even though no one else in the house is cold, a strange lightheaded/shaky/"buzzing" sensation, mood swings, terrible "brain fog" (I used to be very intelligent and quick, now I'm slow and get disoriented) and just recently I've developed weakness and pain in my legs whenever I go up stairs or exert myself. It's progressed to where I can't even walk up a small ramp holding my 20-pound daughter without pain in my legs feeling like I've just run a marathon and making me feel like I'm going to pass out. I am by no means overweight and I live in a two-story home, going up and down stairs all day long (carrying my daughter because she cannot climb them), so there's no way I could just be that out of shape. I am so tired all of the time that I am often in tears when it's time to wake up, no matter how much sleep I've gotten. It is a huge task to clean my house or even balance my checkbook. I've had my TSH, T4, and T3 all checked twice in the last two months and was told they were normal and had my iron profile checked last week and was told that it was normal as well. I feel like I'm going crazy. Every time I see my internist he suggests more antidepressants even though I am already on two (symptoms began before going on them) and do not feel sad or depressed. I feel like they think I'm a hypochondriac. I've finally been referred to an endocrinologist but can't get an appointment for 3 months. Does anybody have ANY idea what is going on with me? Please help!
 sleepymotheroftwo - Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

"Barrage" of symptoms, not "mirage", sorry. (See what I mean about brain fog)? :shock:
 medikel - Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:59 pm

I understand what you are going through. I believe what you are describing is what I feel I may have. Adrenal fatigue. Not many doctors recognize this and I have done alot of research online about it. I too had post partum thyroiditis. I suffer from hypothyroidism. But I believe the tiredness, EXTREME tiredness is from the adrenals. Just keep checking with different endo docs is all I can tell you. And do check out the info online. Good luck to you.
Medikel

|