News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Tumor HCG? Please help fast...

 pjsb - Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:53 pm

I recently had a hormone profile done and they found my testosterone level to be a little low (213), so I made an appointment with an endo. However, they also tested something called 'tumor hcg' and all they said was that its 'less than 2'. I came on the internet to see what these numbers meant and right now I am under the impression that it has a relation to testicular cancer. Can somebody please clarify this for me and what this means?? Thank you...
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Dear Pjsb,

I don't know why you've got that impression?What symptoms do you have that made your doctors test these hormones?The B-HCG is normal or below normal doesn't count as testicular cancer...If you want to screen for it, you can simply do a scrotal Ultrasound.

Best Regards,
 pjsb - Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:32 pm

I asked for a full hormone profile since I am 21 and I want something to guage how my test decreases as I get older. I also had slightly high cholesterol (241) when I had a lipid profile done, and I have high blood pressure. I should not have these things considering how I eat and how active I am. After doing some research on the net I found that high cholesterol and blood pressure can be caused by low test, as well as gyno (I have developed a minor case, but it may be from puberty and just more noticeable since I have put on 60 lbs of solid mass in the last 3 years from working out and my pecs are just pushing it out). I have never done steroids or taken anything to tamper with my hormones. So I am just looking for answers as to why its so low. Can a varicocele cause test levels to be low? Its hard to tell but it might feel like I may have one, and my testicles MAY have atrophied a little (its hard to tell since pretty much every other part on me has grown from my powerlifting hobby, and they are just proportionally smaller now). I have to wait until Feb of 2006 to see an endo, since they are so hard to get an appt with.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 am

Well, I think you'd better do a scrotal ultrasound with duplex... to exclude varicocele or a tumor (i doubt) until you consult your endocrinologist. Take it easy with lipids though...and try doing cario work out rather than lifting weights all the time.

Best regards,


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.