Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can you get pregnant on your period?

DMac89 - Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:28 am

Ok this is how it happened... I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend the first day of her period. Now the next month shes 3 days late today. She claims to have never been late before except for once 2 months ago she was a week late and that was her first time. She is saying she has cramps like she going to get it but she hasent... So we got a pregnancy test and it came out "not pregnant" (It was the clear blue digital thats 99%+ effective on the first day of a missed period we followed all directions carfully and are planning on taking another soon) but i still seem to be a little scared. I looked up the signs of pregnancy and she dosent seem to have any real symptoms. I just know of a few friends who got pregnant and they talked to me about clinics to check out and its making me nervice... Should I really be this scared about it or am i taking it out of proportion? My girlfriend seems to be less scared then I am...Thankyou for your help taking the time to read and reply =]

What do you think the chances are of her actually being pregnant after reading this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 am

It is possible to become pregnant during the woman's period but it only happens rarely. I'd say this combined with the negative test suggests she is not pregnant. There are, however, many reasons women are sometimes late on their periods, including stress (over being pregnant even). Hormones fluctuate and are not consistent throughout the month unless she is taking birth control pills that artificially regulate this. It is unusual for women to never have this type of irregularity at least at times when not using the Pill. So, just because she has only been late once before doesn't really mean anything. This may be the second time and there will likely be even more in the future.

If she doesn't get her period by then, she should repeat the pregnancy test a week after the first one or she could get a serum (blood) test which is more sensitive, if she must know for sure.

Good luck to you both.
 sb81 - Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:26 pm

I have a similar question: If one has sex one their period, with a tampon in even, can one get pregnant? I did this within the first 24 hours of my period, i have a regular flow for the first 3 days and then it tapers of for the last 2, and I am wondering if, since i'm actually not on birth control, i should buy the day-after pill. it is now a little more than 2 days after we had sex.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 pm

The chance of pregnancy under the circumstances you describe is pretty much zero. If it were me I would not spend the money for plan B. But, I would consider getting on regular birth control for the future.

Best of luck to you
 go3gsu - Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 am

I had unprotected sex the Thursday of my period week. I am on birth control but missed a few individual days in my pack. Two of them were my last two days of active pills. I didn't start a new pack, but let my period come. I took plan B about 20 hours after having sex. A week later I was feeling nauseous and lightheaded and slight cramping. Now I have slight cramping that comes and goes. I have started taking my birth control last week, starting Sunday and now it is Wednesday of the second week in my pack. Are these a common symptoms, or could I be pregnant? I took a pregnancy test on Monday morning per someone's advice, but thing it was too early? What is the earliest I could take a pregnancy test? Do I have to wait two more weeks until my period week to take a test?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm

You are probably experiencing side effects from the extra hormones in plan B. It is extremely unlikely you are pregnant and if you were, you would not have these symptoms so soon. Yes, you do need to wait until your period is due for a test but you should relax because it really would be a rare event and stress can delay your period, adding to your stress, further delaying your period and making you crazy.

Having sex on your period is one of the safest times so even with missed pills, this would be unlikely. Then taking plan B pretty much takes care of any slight risk.

wannabemommy25 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 am

I too had the same question... I have done as much research on line as I could but anyproffesional insite would be greatly appreciated. Heres th story, I will try to make it quick.
I am not on any BC. I used to be but didn't like the effects it had on my body so I made an appointment with my regular doctor to get fitted for a diaphram but the appt was for a month out, so we have been relying on the withdraw method, a very un relyable one I know. I don't like condoms and I know that my BF and I are clean, we both have been to the doctors together to be fully screened for any STD's. Moving on... So Thursday the 16th we were having a fun night, doing a little drinking and he got a little carried away and released inside. That next morning we did it again but this time he pulled out but said he thought he may have gotten a little inside. I went to my sister who is taking the pill, (but sais it was a lower dose because she is nursing) I got 2 BC pills from her, I am not sure what kind they were but because I kept forgetting I didn't take the first one until 2am on Saturday and then took the second one at 2pm that same day. I was told by a RN that if you take 2 BC pills it is the same as the plan B pill, and because I cannot afford the plan B I did this in hopes that this would prevent pregnancy.
I wouldn't mind it if I did become pregnant at all, and my bf feels te same way, if it happens then it happens. That thursday night on the 16th I started my period. I was having bad cramps that night along with some slightly heavy bleeding. Then the next thre day it was very light, to the point where I didn't even need to wear a tampon. I had a docs appt thatmonday and told the doc what had happened and she said I shouldn't have anything to worry about but she ordered a blood test for me and said I could come in any time I wanted to take it. It has been 10 days since then, I have noticed some slight headachs that come and go. I have been keeping track of how often I have to use the restroom and I have it down to about 3-4 times in the middle of the night. I was having minor crams yesterday but nothing today, I did see verry little spotting in my panties but was too faint to really be sure. I have been getting some abdominal discomfort from time to time and last night and this morning I have been getting heart burn. I know there is a slim chance of getting pregnant while on your period but how good would my chances be? Could I be pregnant right now?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 pm

You're right that the chances of pregnancy are slim on your period and cramping is not a typical early pregnancy symptom. It can be a symptom of a bladder infection or UTI, especially with the frequency of urination. You should be checked for this.

As for the emergency contraception - the pills vary in strength so if regular oral contraceptives are used as plan B, you should discuss the particular pill and dosage with your doctor. You are correct that some brands can be reliable when used this way.

Better still would be to find another form of birth control you are comfortable with so you don't have to worry so much. If you didn't like the effect that the pill had on your body, chances are you would like even less the effects of plan B.

wannabemommy25 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am

thank you for answering back, I still had a question as to weather you might think that I was pregnant or not. I should also add that ever since I was a little girl and because I was sexualy assulted as a child I have always had frequent urination. There isnt ever any pain present when I go just that I have to go a lot. The doctor passed it off as me being OCD. It wasn't until later that I found out that when I took the 2 pills as a plan B that I did some homework on line and found out that exactly what you said. There was a chart I came across that tells you based on what kind of pill you were taking tepends on the dosage, with that being said it would most likley have been ineffective. So that brings me back to that same question, in your proffessional opinion do you think I am pregnant? Again I thank you for your responce ad for taking out the time to answer my post I know you are a very busy woman. Thanks, have a great day
 Hopelessly Hopefull - Mon May 18, 2009 6:51 am

Well, long story short. My bf and I have been together for about three months now and I don't make him use a condom but I have been on bc for over two years now. We have had sex before, during, and after my period but tried to be extra careful and I would always take my pills on time. It was over a month ago, I started feeling nausious every time I ate. I passed it off as stress, since I have had that happen before. But then I started getting tired in the middle of my shift at work, which never happened, about three weeks later I started have these light cramps like I was about to start but I wasn't supposed to start for another two weeks, and I noticed I was bloating. That is when I finally decided that there could be something going on. Keep in mind that I have a rather fertial family and most of the females in my family have had atleast one child while on bc, I know I should have kept that in mind when I wasn't making him use protection. Well, here I am now two weeks after my missed period and still bloated, my breasts are even more tender than usual, I am using the bathroom more often than usual, I eat more often than usual, and still have the fatigue. I have taken a HPT but it came up not preg. That is another thing that runs in my family, neg tests. I was just wondering if this is all in my head or could I actually be pregnant? I have a doctors appointment this friday but I was just trying to get a little more advice before I waist the time of going. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you have a wonderful day.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:35 pm

I apologize for not answering sooner.

It's true that some women have false negative pregnancy tests. The best thing is to have the doctor or clinic do a serum (blood) test which is more sensitive, but often, just repeating the tests weekly, as long as there is no period, usually will eventually show positive as the hcg levels rise.

Mc03 - Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:07 pm

My boyfriend and I had sex on the second day of my period which was the 9th with a condom and he pulled out. My period continued on like normal afterwards. We had sex again on the 30th of that same month with a condom on and he pulled out again. And also on the 31st with a condom and pulling out. About 2 hours later I decided to buy the morning after pill just in case even though the condom hadn't broken. I was supposed to get my period this month on the 4th an still no sign of it. I feel tired, with no energy and sleepy. I've been sic with worry these past few days because my period is never late. What are the chances of being pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 am

It sounds like you were very well protected and it would be highly unlikely you would be pregnant based on the facts you have reported. I suspect the strong hormones you received with plan B have altered your cycles and it can take a few months for things to regulate again. If you still need peace of mind, take a home pregnancy test.

sjft - Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, I have been taking birth control for about a week and then stopped and missed 5 days. On the 5th day I got my period and I had sex with my boyfriend that night. We didn't use a condom and he ejaculated inside. The next morning we got a plan B and I've taken. So that would be today. I'm worried what are the chances of me getting pregnant? Also I got my wisdom teeth out so I have been taking Amoxicillian and Ibuprofen 800s. I heard that it can lower your chances of it working. So I haven't taken any medication today; the day that I've taken the plan B. My second question is how long should I wait to start taking that medication?
 iizzii - Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Well my situation is a bit different. I hate unprotected sex on oct 12, the 13th i got the plan b and that same night i got my period. in november my period came a bit late around da end of november. its at the end of december and i still cant see my period. And ooo well in mid-december i spoted lik a drop of blood and that was it. i don't know what to think. ive been pretty stressed out about this. DO you think i might be pregnant even though i had my period in november? im trying to be patience and mayb my period will come later on this week...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:41 pm

If you had your period after unprotected sex, particularly after taking emergency contraception, you are most likely not pregnant from that encounter. If you have since had unprotected sex, that is another matter. It is very common to miss periods occasionally and nothing to worry about. If you did have sex since then and your period is late, it makes sense to take a home pregnancy test.

Stress can cause your period to be late, as can hormonal fluctuation that is part of a woman's reproductive cycle. Very few women are always regular with their periods.

kumari bandara - Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 pm

hi,
The day was 2nd Feb and it was around my last days of periods. Normally my BF uses condoms and always pulling out but that day he didn't use condom and as usual he pulled out. He is sure about that nothing goes inside. Normally I'm not using anything.
After that day this month period wasn't happened and still not. I'm afraid whether i'm pregnant?.. Coz normally, i never missed my periods and always happened around after 28,29 days but not this time.

Is there any possibilities with this situation to be pregnant?
Please help me... Hope for a quick answer if possible....
 bluesummer22 - Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Is it possiable to get pregnant when having sex while your on your period?

|