Forum Name: Fertility

Question: leukorrhea affecting conceiving

bill_hopeful - Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 am

My wife has leukorrhea. we have been trying for a baby since 2 yrs. She has regular periods with normally 2-3 days delays. So her dates keep changing slightly. After consulting with Gynecologist, it was said that it could be the leukorrhea liquid that is stoping the sperm to get there. Note that she has problem of leukorrhea since very long time. They prescribed 'Gyno-Coryl - econazole nitrate 150mg' to be inserted deeply as high into vigina as possible for consecutive 3 nights soon after the periods and then to have sex for consecutive 5 days. We have tried the above practice only once yet. But no success so far!
My semen analysis was also taken with results summary as following
Vol=2ml, Ph=Alkaline, Color=Gray-White, Viscosity=Normal, Liquefication=Within 20min, Motility after 1/2hr=47%, Motility after 1hr=39%, Motility after 2hr=31%, Count of Sperm 68 mil/ml, Morphology Normal Form= 58%. Based on that I was also prescribed to take ''Melbrosia Executive'' containing bee collected pollen, bee bread, royal jelly & gelatine capsule
My questions are following.
1. What are your comments on above?
2. Is leukorrea really a big problem?
3. How can we cure leukorrhea, so that there is nothing to prevent semen to reach eggs? Any permanent cure?
4. Any sexual positions & preventions to follow to help her concieveing?
5. Any futher test would you suggest?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:44 pm

I am a little bit confused myself since leukorrhea is a common, normal condition and some women are able to track their ovulation days by following the nature of this fluid. Near the time of ovulation it usually becomes like egg white, kind of stretchy and more noticeable. This change actually improves the motility of the sperm toward the cervix. If there is infection, odor, burning, itching, etc. of course then it could be infection and would require treatment. But, in the absence of these it is quite normal and women vary in the amounts they produce. There are ovulation predictor kits and calculators to help you determine your wife's likely time of fertility. The econazole nitrate is to cure yeast overgrowth so perhaps the doctor felt this was the cause of the increased vaginal discharge. If the discharge remains very thick and when fingers which have been inserted are pulled apart, it does not break easily, the gynecologist may suspect that the nature of the fluid is preventing the motility of sperm. But only your doctor can tell you exactly about those suspicions. I can only speculate.

But, you should know that sometimes infertility is simply a matter of patience. Many couples are surprised after a few years of "trying" to see they spontaneously conceive while doing nothing differently. Without a fertility workup it is difficult to know if you are truly infertile or if the stars just haven't yet aligned properly for you.

I am no expert in sperm analysis but it appears your labs are within the normal range. This is encouraging and may just require a bit more patience.

I am not familiar with the supplementation you have been prescribed. Herbal supplements are not tracked by the FDA and so I have little information about them.

The man-on-top position works well when trying to conceive. Place a small pillow under your hips following intercourse so that your cervix basically rests in the pool of semen for a short time (perhaps 20 minutes or so). This will allow the sperm time to easily swim up through the cervix without spilling out from gravity. But even when everything is "right" sometimes the egg and sperm just don't meet up, it doesn't implant or something else goes wrong. Don't give up and be sure to avoid any bad habits - tobacco, alcohol, drugs, excessive weight, poor diet, etc. This applies to both of you for healthy pregnancies.

If you feel you need more help, I would suggest a fertility clinic. There are several assisted reproduction technology options including IUI (Intrauterine insemination), ovulation stimulators (such as clomid), and in vitro fertilization to name only a few.

Good luck in your efforts to conceive,

|