News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Could misuse of birth control effect me getting pregnant?

Swimmer22 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi, I'm a 21 about to be 22 year old female and I've had 22 sexual partners since I started having sex at 18. I used protection with all of them until I got into a serious relationship with my ex about 3 years ago. We were together for 2 1/2 years and I started taking Berlex birth control pills. I was taking them consistantly as I was advised to for about a year then I stopped taking them. We were not trying to have a baby but we did have unprotected sex and he did ejaculate inside me everytime. We did have sex quite a lot, so I worried I couldn't conceive. I had heard through friends, no actual doctor, that it could take birth control up to a year to completely get out of your system before you could conceive. I don't know if this is acutally true but after a year had past after that, I had been in other relationships where we had unprotected sex and still have not got pregnant. I will admit that I have used the Plan B pill 2 times after unprotected sex. Also, I still had packs of my birth control pills that I HAD NOT been taking, that I would take a pill just randomly after unprotected sex, simply as a relief factor for myself thinking that it would act somewhat as the Plan B pill, knowing now that it was pointless, but I have done this on several occasions. I'm worried that possibly that may have affected my chances of conceiving. Or perhaps I just can't concieve period. Obviously my mother could conceive, and so has my older sister, but we have different fathers so maybe that has something to do with it. I have no known knowledge of any females on my fathers side not conceiving. There are just so many occasions where I should of been pregnant but was not. I was 2 weeks late last month on my period, took a test and it read negative. I started a couple days later but only had a period for 2 days. I'm jus worried I can't conceive, please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
It would be impossible to say why you have not yet become pregnant, but the use of birth control pills (even improperly) is not likely to have caused any problems in this. There was a time when they worried that long-term use might affect fertility but this has been mostly proven to not be the case. Of course there are other possible reasons for infertility. If you have not been checked for STDs, I would recommend doing so. History of infections can result in scarring and can contribute to infertility. Unless you have been actively trying to conceive, it may just be luck of the draw here that it hasn't happened to you yet. Even women who are trying actively can take a while for the stars to align and conception to occur. I would not worry too much but if you haven't seen a doctor for a pap smear and gynecological exam I would recommend that now. A preconception visit with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here