Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Chances of Pregnancy with low sperm motility

weldi01 - Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:57 am

Dear Doctor,

I got the results of my seminal fluid assessment today, and my motility factor is listed as quite low: a-rapid linear = 0%, b-slow linear = 20%, c = non progressive = 10%, immotile = 70%. Also liquefaction and Consistency are listed as Abnormal. Sperm count is listed as 60.0 mill/ml and normal forms at 54 percent. I have high cholesterol and am taking Atorvastatin 10mg every night. I was a heavy smoker untill the 6th of Aug 2007 and then quit, however I have been smoking around 5 cigarretes a day since july 2009. What are the chances of me being able to have a child. Is low sperm motiltiy a permanent problem and is there anyway I can improve my chances of being able to have children.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:06 pm

What you need to know is that the analysis helps to determine if sperm are a factor in infertility but even men with low counts and not good mobility still sometimes are successful in conception. We don't know why this is so, but the things you can do to help your odds are the usual good health recommendations.

For you specifically, quit the tobacco altogether. The combination of smoking and drinking are very bad for healthy sperm. Obviously recreational drug use is also a no-no here. Then, you should eat right (good healthy diet with lots of vegetables) exercise regularly, take a multivitamin and watch your weight. Good overall health has been shown to improve the chances of good sperm.

Some men are also affected by prescription medications so if you take any for high blood pressure, etc., talk to your doctor. Also, avoid the tub (opt for showers instead) and keep cool (avoid tight underclothing, laptop computers on the lap or other sources of heat that might increase scrotal temperature). If you use a lubricant in sex, use a vegetable-oil base only. Avoid environmental toxins, especially if you work regularly in an environment where this might be a concern.

The next thing is to be sure you have sex regularly, especially during fertile times.

2001-2017