Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: "double period" cycle confusion

rie23 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:42 am

last month i got my period and it went a week like normal but the day after it should have stopped my cycle seemed to start over in almost a "double" period type thing but now im worried about when i should have gotten my period this month because i should have gotten it last week but i havent so was my "double" for both months? or will it just delay it? or should i have gotten my period last week?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 pm

At your age it is perfectly normal to have irregular periods. You could be in the perimenopausal phase which can last for several years prior to menopause. The changing hormones result in heavier, more frequent or missed periods. It is nothing to worry about unless it goes on this way (excessive bleeding) for several months resulting in anemia. Your doctor could treat this if that becomes the case.

However, you could still be ovulating, even if irregularly so birth control should continue as long as you are sexually active and menstruating.