Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Conception after loss of a fallopian tube?

andreams24 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm

I am a 25 year old female in good health, other than being a little overweight. My husbend is 28 and also in good health. In March of this year we had an eptopic pregnancy which ended in the rupture of my left fallopian tube. They removed it along with my ovary. My doctor wanted us to wait 2 periods until we tried to conceive again, which we waited. We have now been trying since May of this year with no luck. I took a pee on a stick test from First Responce, testing my hormone and it was positive. I have a 6 year old living child. We don't drink excessivly or use any drugs. I'm just wondering if I am going to be able to get prenant? What could the problem be? What can I do to make our chances better? Should I not be worried?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Assuming you have no other fertility problems in addition to the single tube, your chances of achieving pregnancy are excellent. Typically you release an egg from one ovary on alternating months and sometimes more than one egg is released (as in the case of naturally occurring fraternal twins. It only takes one egg being fertilized to start a baby. Even in cases with no issues at all, it is considered normal for it to take a year to get pregnant when trying to conceive. So, you are well within the normal limits. Just because we try for a particular time does not mean it will happen. There is a certain amount of luck involved and we often get the babies when they are ready; rather than when we think we are.

You can try some tricks such as monitoring your fertile days to be sure you are having intercourse during that period - usually it is recommended every other day if you're up to it and if you have a normal cycle, that is usually day 8 through day 19 when you start counting on the first day of your period. You can also sometimes notice a change in your vaginal secretions - if you do, that would be a good time to have sex. Try to be patient.

MeMeG - Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 pm

I had surgery in April 2001 to open my fallopian tubes. They were scarred closed because of an STD. I was told I had to wait a year and a half to get another ink test so in November 2002 I had it done. I watched as the ink stopped almost immediately upon release and the doctor told me that they were still scarred completely closed. I believed I would never get pregnant. I was supposed to start my menstral cycle on the 10 Dec 09, but here is is (the 22nd) and it has not come. I am overweight, but no more than usual and I have never missed a period before. I don't fell stressed either. About 2 months ago I had my thyroids tested, but everything is fine in that area. So, my question is, could I be pregnant? I have not taken a test yet, but I plan to within the next few days and I expect it to be negative. I have hope that it could be positive, but I really doubt it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:40 am

A missed period happens to almost all women at times so don't get your hopes up too high. Of course things like this do happen at times resulting in surprise pregnancies too. All you can do is take a home pregnancy test.

Good luck in your efforts,
 MeMeG - Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Ms. Miller,

I have taken 3 pregnancy tests since I last posted. They all read negative. It has now neen 55 days since the start of my last period. Should I expect my period to start again this month or is it possible that I could miss it for a longer duration? I feel like I am gaining weight, but its the Holidays, so it could be from food. My breasts are feeling strange; I get sharp pains in them if I run / lay on / touch them to hard. I don't know... I am 33 years old and this is the first time I missed my period so I'm a bit confused as to what it could be.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm

I know this is very frustrating to you. In most women the results of the pregnancy test are reliable, especially after taking several of them. But, occasionally a woman can be pregnant in spite of the negative tests due to insufficient hCG hormones that trigger the positive result.

It is also possible you could have a hormonal problem that is preventing you from ovulating - not just the tube obstruction concern. Since you are hoping for pregnancy, I would suggest seeing a doctor about your missed periods. The doctor can do a serum (blood) pregnancy test which is more accurate and could also check some "soft signs" of pregnancy with a pelvic exam. It would be good to find out why you are missing your period in any case. Hormones are sometimes prescribed.

Good luck and best regards,

2001-2017