News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: White spots (not raised) on head of penis

SeekingAnswers12 - Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:05 pm

(I do plan on going to a doctor soon)

Short Story:
I am worried about some spots that appear on the head of my penis. They are white, if not off skin colored, and they are not raised above the skin, so they are not bumps, they are spots. They cause a little bit of irritation and haven't gone away for what I think is a month, or longer. There is no puss, ulcers or open sores. What is wrong and how can I get rid of it?

Long Story: (figured it might help to know a lot more)
So, I'm 19 years old, and have had a little over 10 sexual partners in my life thus far. Currently, I am experiencing these white spots on the head my penis that are not raised, so I can't feel them, they are only visible. Also, it comes with a tiny amount of irritation that is not enough to bother me very much.
Also a few months ago, at the beginning of this school year, so September, I experienced what I am pretty sure was poison ivy on my penis shaft. See, my friends and I were having a fire and he was putting random weeds on it, and I believe that the smoke is what infected me. Anyways, it looked like poison ivy, felt/itched like poison ivy and I avoided scratching it as much as possible and it went away within a couple weeks.
Initially, I was afraid that the poison ivy was herpes (mostly because I had sex with a girl that people say she gets around right before I left for college), but I researched about it and it sounds like herpes involves puss and painful sores, etc. Also followed by ulcers, which I don't and didn't have. Also, I read somewhere that one can actually get posion ivy through the smoke from it burning.
Finally, about what? 9 months later... I'm experiencing the irritation and the visible, but not raised, white/off-colored spots that have been there for a good month I suppose. I do not know if these two instances are connected, but I mentioned it just in case. I'm just worried about it because I don't want a future sexual partner to see and say something, or if it is infectious I don't want to spread it to them.
I guess I should mention also, that I thought the irritation might have been from masterbating while pretty dry.

So what is the diagnosis of these little white spots that aren't raised and don't cause any trouble except for a tiny amount of irritation? Any help is appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

User avatar Hello,Poison ivy dermatitis is predominently fluidfilled ie bullous in nature.Fordycee spots are normal but raised glands located mainly at the rim of penis but you have flat macular.
The likely diagnosis with your sexual history points out to a fungal cause ie yeast based monilial balanitis which presents woth the mentioned features.Mild irritation is common.
Antifungal external remedies like canesten creme are generally prescribed.
Since there is no recurrence herpes is unlikely.Early vitiligo can present like this too.
It is best to get examined but it is likely to be monilial.
Best wishes.
 SeekingAnswers12 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Do you think a cream used for jock itch and athletes foot would help?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 pm

User avatar Hello,Some of the jock itch preperations containing salycilic acid are not suitable.Otherwise like miconazole should be ok but then the diagnosis has to be confirmed by your doctor.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here