Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Stressed about chances of pregnancy relating to early period

worried1992 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 am

I am very concerned about the chances that I am pregnant and I would like to know the likelihood and what the bleeding I am currently experiencing may be.

I had sexual contact on 31st of May, we were not using contraception but we did not have penetrative sex (I am a virgin if this makes a difference). However, after reading some stories on the internet about pre-ejaculatory fluids and pregnancy, I am really worried. The head of his penis may have touched briefly around the outside of my vagina.

I think that I ovulated on 2nd June. My last period was on 14th May, I was expecting my next period around 16th June. However, I started bleeding on 4th June - just faint patches in my pants for a start. However, on 5th June it became quite heavy like a normal period - blood was some brown and some bright red. This is my 3rd day like a normal period now but I am still worried about pregnancy after reading about implantation spotting.

I am stressed due to this and exams in the coming week however, I have only ever been late on a period due to stress before.
Please can someone get back to me, I would really like some answers so that I don't affect my exams too badly.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 pm

It is true that pre-ejaculate can contain sperm, but it does require penetration to get it to the area where any sperm present could travel to the egg. This is a somewhat complicated process and if the fluid was only on the outside you would not be pregnant. Try not to worry about this. Variation in periods at time is completely normal. The fact that you are bleeding like a period is evidence that you are not pregnant. Implantation bleeding is usually light and again, would require intercourse and conception in order for it to occur. The time you would worry about pre-ejaculate is if you were using the "pull-out" method of birth control where he pulls out before he ejaculates. The risk is that some of the fluid could still be present in the vagina, but the key is that there has been penetration in that case.

You will gain peace of mind if you are prepared with contraception in case you get this close again and perhaps get carried away in your passion, resulting in a lack of self-control. Abstinence is the best prevention of pregnancy but sometimes people slip up so it's good to be prepared.

worried1992 - Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:38 am

Thank you, I am definitely going to be a lot more careful in the future.
I have now had cramping pains in my lower abdomen area for the last 4 days or so, is this all in my mind do you think!? I don't have any other pregnancy symptoms like tender breasts or anything... just the cramping.
Also, I was due a period in the next week or so, but I had what I think was one starting on the 5th like I said, so should I still expect one.. if I miss this one in the coming week should I worry or did I simply have it early!?
thank you so much!
 galasinger - Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 am

this is extremely similar to my case. i am a virgin, and the guy i was with said that the tip of his penis went in me only once and then he pulled out quickly because i said it hurt. i am supposed to get my period in about 2 weeks but im really worried based on all of the pre-ejaculatory fluid that could also impregnate someone. he said he was protected. but today and yesterday i noticed slight discharge and today there was even some brown spotting. im terrified that this could indicate that im pregnant. please help me?
 worried1992 - Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Also... i'm sorry to keep asking things but i am an awful worrier. I read that some women can still have period like bleeding whilst they're pregnant and you said implantation bleeding is usually light and i know there is a really small possibility that i am pregnant if he fingered me (i don't even know whether any precum got anywhere near my vagina - this is how much of a worrier i am). So i just wanted to know when would be the best time to do a pregnancy test based on my dates and stuff i said in my first post?! because these cramps are getting to me now and i think a pregnancy test would be the only thing to put my mind at rest. Thank you.
 fish1234 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:23 pm

I also am in the same situation that you are in! A terrible worrier about EVERYTHING!I recently had one night of intimacy with my boyfriend, but i was wearing underwear and he was wearing sport shorts and underwear, but he got to excited and ejaculated, but before that had happened his penis didn't go in my vagina it just poked it a couple times with all those layers (weird conditions I know but I know what's like to be swept away) but when he ejaculated it soaked through and I was so thrown off guard i didn't get to check if it was on my underwear or not, but I am still a virgin, and my period hasn't shown up for 3 days and I've had some cramping but no signs of other pregnancy symptoms that are out of the ordinary symptoms of menstruation, like mood swings which is both for pregnancy and periods, or your boobs getting larger (which happens to me sometimes before i start), like i have no spotting or breast sensitivity. I read something from a doctor that said if you are between the ages of 12-18, it's normal to have a irregular period, also it's very unlikely without penetration pre-cum could get to you cervix.

2001-2017