Forum Name: Fertility

Question: rhs positive and pregnant

sinful - Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 pm

my 34 year old daughter who is 27 weeks pregnant was just diagnosed as rhs positive...was told that her particular diagnoses was refered to as the big E...could anyone give me more info on this...thanx
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I am a little unclear on this question. I am not familiar with "the Big E" and if you are talking about Rh factor, it's the negative mom who has concerns since her baby could be positive and that creates a potential problem if the baby's and mom's blood should mix at birth or through trauma. A negative mom receives a rhogam injection before the end of the pregnancy and again following delivery if the baby is positive. If your daughter is Rh positive she does not have the Rh factor.

However, if you mean that she has already been sensitized following the birth of another child (or miscarriage, abortion) that is another story. If you have information about this, it would be helpful. The term would be Rh sensitization. I am wondering if this is what is meant by the Rhs you mention. Usually the Rh factor (quite common) is just that, without the "s" so I'm a bit confused.

Let us know if this does not answer your question.

2001-2017