News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Very irregular period(not normal) after having sex.

EmilyCatherine - Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Doctors, thank you so much for this sight. Reading other things i had questions on was very helpful.
But this question is very pressing and has been worrying me sick.
On the 31st of May my Boyfriend an i had protected sex but he had soon told me after that something had gone wrong with the condom when he put it on. (but it wasn't broken) something to the sorts of his semen may have gotten on the outside of the condom.
Up until the 31st i had every pms symptom, bloating, sore breasts, ect and a day after the 1st of June i got what i thought was my period on time. We ended up having protected sex once more after that. My period however only lasted 4 days and was very light which is not normal . (I usually last 6-7 days and am fairly heavy.) I thought it was over after the 4 days. What was weird was that I had no bleeding for a full day and then that night i bleed heavy and then very light for the next two days. It has stopped now. So i had blood for about 7 days but SUPER irregular.

Im very confused and concerned. Could the irregular bleeding be due to implantation that i may have gotten pregnant? I have no early signs of being pregnant yet however. Should i take a pregnancy test, and if so when?
Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you SO much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you had a normal period, even though it was not a typical period for you. Most women experience times now and again when their cycles are a bit "off" and it's nothing to be concerned about.

If you want to take a pregnancy test, these are usually reliable around the time of your expected period or a few days after. Somewhere between 10 and 20 days after conception the test should work but this varies with the individual and hcg levels can be slow to show up in some cases. This being the case, you should be able to test sometime this coming week based on May 31 being the day you had sex with questionable protection. But again, since you bled pretty well after that episode I really don't think you are not pregnant.

Irregularity of periods is not usually cause for alarm regarding pregnancy, but missed periods are a sign. Implantation occurs about a week or so after conception and if there is bleeding with that it is usually light.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here