Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Could I be pregnant one month after D&C?

hmilan - Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 pm

On June 23, 2010 I thought I was 3 months pregnant with my 2nd child. I went to the emergency room with some light bleeding and discovered the baby had passed away at 9 weeks 2 days. I opted to have a D and C to get the process over with quickly. The procedure went very well and I had little to no bleeding within one week. My husband and I began having intercourse again almost right away. We have been doing weekly blood tests to monitor my HcG levels back to below 5. The first result was 19, then I missed a week of testing. Last week my HcG levels were at 5! Then, surprisingly, this past week they went back UP to 25! Is this normal. My Dr. says it is highly unlikely that there is retained tissue due to the D and C, but she is concerned about molar pregnancy (which really scares me.) I am also wondering if its possible I could be pregnant again so soon after my miscarriage. My last HcG test was July 21st (25hcg) and yestered I tested positive on a home pregnancy test. Do HcG levels normally go back up after falling so low? Could I be pregnant again? If so, isn't a level of 25hcg too low? My Dr. is on vacation so Im very worried right now.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Yes, it is possible to become pregnant right away following a D&C. Hcg levels do not usually rise after they have fallen unless you are pregnant so you should follow this up, take a prenatal vitamin (or multivitamin). If the embryo is viable your levels will continue to rise steadily. If it is not, there is nothing you can do to change this. Miscarriage is nature's way of dealing with these things when the baby doesn't develop properly.

Best wishes
 hmilan - Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I have been taking a prenatal vitamin for about 6 months so I am good there. :) I am just scared because my Doctor mentioned it could be due to a partial molar pregnancy. Is 25 HcG too low for a partial molar pregnancy? Is it more likely that this is a new pregnancy?
 hmilan - Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:17 pm

I continued taking my prenatal vitamins even after my miscarriage because I knew I would continue trying. We took another HCG test yesterday and it came back at 481!! The Dr. is still nervous to conclusively say I'm pregnant but I think its pretty obvious at this point. Am I at higher risk of miscarriage since I did not wait one full cycle? Would it be a good idea to start progesterone supplements?