Question: 16 mnths testicular pain following excessive sexual activity

calbruc - Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I am 24 years old and I have been experiencing periodic, severe testicular pain for about 16 months. It started when I was involved in an extremely active sexual relationship. Myself and my girlfriend would engage in sexual intercourse several times a day. Significantly, we would often be involved in sexual activity for prolonged periods of time (e.g. 2hours) before I actually ejaculated. I started to get pain in my testicles, and the cord attached to my testicles, which would dissipate after a day or so, after which I would we would resume sexual relations. However, eventually, this pain became chronic and would take weeks to subside.

In the past 16 months I have had roughly 5 periods (lasting 2 -5 weeks) of chronic pain and have only experienced perhaps 2-3 weeks where I have had no pain whatsoever. In the same time period I have not had any sexual partners, I have had to refrain from sexual activity and sexual arousal of any description as much as possible, I have had to stop smoking (which is a good thing), avoid excessive laughter or coughing, avoid sleeping/sitting in particular positions, all for fear of provoking the pain.

I have had a full health check for STD's 6 months ago and nothing was found.

Around two weeks ago I started to get extreme testicular pain, again. This hasn't subsided yet and I have made an appointment with my doctor (something I regret not doing earlier). Unfortunately due to waiting lists and work commitments I have to wait a further two weeks to see the doctor.

The pain is unbelievable, especially at night, and I am panicking when I think about having to live with this for the rest of my life. Furthermore I have been taking allot of painkillers (400mg ibuprofen twice during the day and 400mg ibuprofen + 1000mg paracetemol + 30-60mg codeine at night) this is playing havoc with my stomach and is a further source of anxiety. The painkillers don’t really mask the pain however when I try to lay off them for a period, to give my stomach a rest, the pain becomes so severe that I can barely function and consider going to A&E!

I feel extremely anxious and regretful about my situation and would greatly appreciate it if somebody could shed some light as to what my problem might be/ the potentiality of even a partial recovery and what possible treatment I might expect. Also, any advice as to managing the pain and the side-effects of the painkillers would also be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,
Cal.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm

First of all let me assure you it is unlikely this would be a permanent condition. You may have some inflammation or infection but this should be correctable with diagnosis and treatment so seeing your doctor is the right thing to do. Ongoing pain killers is not a good option but likely will not be necessary once the cause is determined. A twisted testicle can be extremely painful and you should be able to get an earlier appointment with that concern.

Try using an athletic supporter in the meantime.