Question: cannabis related impotence

tk90 - Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:59 pm

hi, im a 20 year old male, i started smoking cannabis heavily when i was 13, when i was around 18 i stopped getting errections, i went to my doctor about it and he told me it was down to my heavy cannabis use, but i didnt belive him, they took some blood tests and every thing was fine, i have an above average testosterone level. i put up with my impotence for 2 more years and at the start of 2010 i decided to quit cannabis as i am very depressed with being impotent, i havent smoked any cannabis for 6 months now and i drink alcohole only at weekends, my impotence hasnt improved at all and im scared its going to be for the rest of my life, every time i go see my doctor he says to give it time and things will improve but nothing is improveing, he gave me a presciption for some viagra but it was extremely expensive so i orderd generic viagra off the internet which seems to work well. i recently went back to see my doctor and he contacted a urologist for me and the urologist said to start taking very small doses of cialis everyday for 2 months to put my penis through rehabillitation, he said if things havent improved after that then i should make an appointment to see a urologist. will i ever be able to get normal errections again? im really scared this is going to be forever and im going to have to take viagra for the rest of my life, do you know if i will ever be able to fully recover? also i think i should point out i don't get errections at night and i don't get errections in the morning. please help me as this is ruining my life and making me suicidal.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:26 pm

First of all try to keep things in perspective. You are still young and the chances of something like this being permanent is extremely low. In addition to normal maturing that continues throughout your life and the emotional factors that go into committed relationships you are very likely to find a natural improvement in sexual function. This is definitely not something to prompt suicide and if you are having such feelings you should seek counseling or a suicide helpline immediately. Sex is not the whole reason for one's existence and if it feels this way for you some therapy is definitely in order and perhaps the cannabis use has created other psychological problems.

In addition to natural improvements that are likely to occur, there are ongoing technological advances so you should not despair. Meanwhile, focus your attention on other pursuits and the sexual aspect may improve naturally.