Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Prescribed Provera For Thick Uterine Lining TTC need answers

AshCheat89 - Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

I am 21 years old and my husband and I have been TTC for 2 yrs now without results. Recently I have been having terrible cramps during my periods and large blood clots. After research I came across a condition known as Endometriosis, my periods became unbearable to the point where i couldn't move and would just lay on the floor in excruciating pain for hours until the pain went away even after taking Vicodin. About 3 weeks ago i went to my doctor and told him what was going on so he set me up for some ultrasounds. My results came back and it stated that my uterine lining was abnormally thick and he prescribed me Provera to take for 10 days to shed the extra lining. I am currently on my period and i guess the Provera is working since this is my 1st day and i am in a lot of pain and passing huge clots. My question is if the Provera does work successfully and everything goes well, what will be my chances of getting pregnant after my period goes off and what will be the next step to try and conceive. If you have answers and advice please help.

v/r
AshCheat89
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 am

It sounds like you have made progress in determining the cause of your delayed efforts to conceive. Keep in mind that at your age your chances are very good that it will happen with patience. Getting the hormonal treatments should result in a more favorable uterine lining for implantation, assuming you are ovulating. You need to start here and move forward over time so patience is important.

You may be advised to use an ovulation predictor kit to help determine the best days for fertility or you can try using something like Cycle Beads for this purpose. Most women are able to conceive within a year with regular sexual intercourse (assuming both partners are fertile) and so once your problems are resolved chances are very good. Your husband may be advised to have a sperm analysis to make sure things are working on his end as well.

If you are found to not be ovulating, there are medications to assist. If you have endometriosis, there are treatments to assist with this as well so don't give up. Most treatments are done through your regular OB/GYN and do not require an infertility specialist but if necessary there are other techniques thanks to modern medicine.

2001-2017