Forum Name: Fertility

Question: How to properly treat infertility?

aday33 - Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:40 pm

I just went to a ob/gyn today for the first time in my life and I didn't get the experience I was hoping for. I am 23 years old and have one 4 year old daughter. I have been trying to conceive since then but, mostly the last 2 and a half years and have not yet been successful. The doctor that I seen today was kind of nice I guess but, didn't take her time, the whole time it seemed like she was in a rush and I do not think she explained things thoroughly enough to where I could understand anything. I basically left out of there completely confused and now I have a lot of unanswered questions. All she did was stick her fingers up in me as if she was performing a pap smear while feeling and pressing down all around my belly. After she finished with that, she said it feels like I might have an ovarian cyst which she didn't even tell me what that is and then tells me to get dressed and meet her back at the front of the office/desk. She then schedules me for another appointment on September 8 to come back and have an ultrasound. She also wants me to have blood work done as well but, I cannot go she said until 2-3 after my period, did not explain why just said to check a few things but, that was it. I was hoping she would be more thorough, explain things tome a bit better like what are ovarian cysts, etc. I want to know what that is and if it serious because if it is then I would think she have had me get an ultrasound today either there or could've sent to the hospital. What causes infertility, what are ovarian cysts and how can she assume I might have that without doing an ultrasound??? My mom told me they should do an ultrasound on my belly and vaginally, right? I need help, I need advice/suggestions please! If you need anymore info just ask me, thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:37 am

Many women experience ovarian cysts in their lifetimes and in most cases there are no symptoms so they are not even aware. Your doctor may have felt something to indicate a cyst was present but the reason an ultrasound is done later is because these cysts so often go away without treatment or problems. She wants to see if this resolves on its own. If not, she can decide then if further treatment is needed. The wait and see approach is considered normal and good medical practice.

The ovarian cyst is simply a fluid-filled sac in the ovary. Sometimes cysts occur along with endometriosis which can affect fertility but usually there are symptoms with that.

There are many causes of infertility. It sometimes just takes a while. You might try using an ovulation predictor kit to help you determine the best time for intercourse to coincide with ovulation dates when trying to conceive. Often it is just a matter of patience because everything has to happen at the right time and under the right circumstances for conception and implantation to occur. You might say it involves a certain amount of luck.

Your doctor will probably systematically rule out potential causes - first the cyst, then other conditions such as pituitary or thyroid health which can affect the female hormones as well as others in the body.

Sometimes a woman can even worry about this so much that she can actually stop ovulating so try to reduce your stress in your life. In the meantime, be sure to take a daily multivitamin, use good health practices and habits, stop any bad habits and be sure you are in a healthy weight range. All these things will help assure a healthy pregnancy when it does happen.

It is also important for your husband to avoid alcohol and take care of his own health, especially ruling out infections.

In some very rare cases, the woman rejects the man's sperm, similar to an allergy but this is really not very common at all. Most likely patience is what you need but if the cyst goes away, like we would expect, your doctor may prescribe an ovulation stimulator drug such as clomid but because of the risk of multiples, it's best not to do this until you have explored all avenues that might be interfering with ovulation and conception first. The fact that you are young and have had one child with your husband is very encouraging that you will be able to do it again.

Good luck in your efforts and best wishes.