Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Is the problem i'm having because of Metformin

rose12 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm

I have been taking Metformin 500mg twice a day and when i do i have bad diarrhea to where bile is what is comming out. I have stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and it has stopped. Is this common or should i be concerned? The last time i stopped i missed my period for the first time for 3 months. Just need answers.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Diarrhea is a commonly reported side effect of Metformin so yes, this could be the cause. Fewer people report this side effect when they take the long-acting form of Metformin. Talk to your doctor about this. Sometimes side effects go away after the first few weeks on a medication when your body adjusts.