breast lump with intramammary node

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
spunky80

breast lump with intramammary node

Postby spunky80 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi!

I am 28 year old and have been noticing changes in my left breast for 2 years. 2 years ago i wok up one morning and my breast had doubed in seize, so I saw a doc and had it scanned which showed nothing. Then a year ago I noticed a lump in the same breast and again had it scanned, this time it showed a fibroid which the doc said was normal and told me not to worry , but get it scanned every year. This year I have noticed another lump in my opposite armpit and still have the first lump. I have also lost 25 kilograms in 8 weeks (unintentionally), I have had an ultrasound and I am alittle worried as I carn't make sense of the results, can you help me??? I do have a doc's appointment but cannot get in to see him for three weeks. ( he must be good then right?? ha ha)

Here are the results:-there are small lymph nodes with normal morphology in the axillae bilaterally. Between 9 and 10 o'clock in the right breast laterally, there is a 10 x 7 x 3mm well-defined hypoechoic lesion with a fatty hilum in keeping with a small intramammary node. There are small foci of calcification at 3 and 9 o'clock in the left breast.
Do I need to worry or is this normal?
Thankyou so much for your time

Dr. Tamer Fouad
Medical Doctor

Re: breast lump with intramammary node

Postby Dr. Tamer Fouad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi,

Intramammary lymph nodes are commonly encountered and are usually normal and not a cause for concern. They tend to be located at the upper outer quadrant and tend to have a distinct appearance on a mammogram when they are benign.

Is there anything said to describe the calcifications that are present?

Please note this is an educational service and there is no way I can give you an assessment without first hand evaluation of your scans.

Best regards,
Dr. Tamer Fouad, MD
MB, BCh, MSc Internal Medicine.
Consultant of Hematology - Oncology.

Return to “Breast Cancer”