Cancer scare or not due to enlarged lymph nodes

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
jmfennell

Cancer scare or not due to enlarged lymph nodes

Postby jmfennell » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:39 pm

23 year old male. Back in July I developed Strep group B, which I received treatment for and recovered from. Since then I have had an enlarged lymph node located by the back of my right jaw and below my ear. The node is tender to the touch, and hasn't changed much in a little over one month. Back when I had my Strep diagnosed I also had a CBC done which came back reading normal levels. I have not experienced any fatigue or weight loss and appear otherwise healthy. My main concern with this though is that my brother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in 2003 when he was 21. Should I be concerned from a genetic standpoint and have a doc check it out, or should I wait it out, seeing that the lymph node was probably a result from the infection in July? Thank you in advance for your time in answering.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi Jmfennell,

I think it is unlikely that this node is related to cancer. It does seem to be a long time since the strep infection for it to still be enlarged and tender. I would recommend you have this evaluated by your doctor because you may actually have a smoldering infection in the node that may need further antibiotics to help it clear.

Best wishes.

Return to “Head and Neck Cancer”