Blood pressure cuff to small for me?

Heart Attacks, Myocardial Infarctions, Coronary Heart Diseases.

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
coreyt1111

Blood pressure cuff to small for me?

Postby coreyt1111 » Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Ok, I measured my blood pressure at the grocery store today and it was squezing me so hard,lol. When I took my arm out it left likealmost bruise streak marks down my arm, none the less it always leaves marks on me. Anyways my blood pressure was 181/100 and my pulse was 75.
Im 21 years old, 6'5 and weigh between 230-240 and I lift weights, my arm is pretty big, I measured it and its about 14 inces around ( the blood pressure machine says this cuff is designed for arms 9 to 13 inches). So I was wondering if this could give me higher readings then normal if the cuff is too small. I went home after that and my blood pressure was 139/90 on my home cuff ( but it says designed for arms up to 13 inches only also). I wanted to know if these small cuffs could be making my readings higher, anyone know? Thanks

Theresa Jones, RN
Nurse

Postby Theresa Jones, RN » Tue May 17, 2005 8:32 am

Hi coreyt1111,
A blood pressure cuff that is to small for a persons arm will give an inaccurate/higher than normal reading.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

coreyt1111

Postby coreyt1111 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Thanks, thats what the pharmicist told me also after he saw the marks it left on my arm.

Return to “Ischemic Heart Disease”