estrogens usage after radiotherapy

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
fwusenw

estrogens usage after radiotherapy

Postby fwusenw » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Doctor,

My mother(75) just finished radiotherapy for 200 cGy x28 for her pelvic tumor(squamous cell carcinoma was diagnosed)--two weeks ago.(10/23/2009),and her GYN DR. prescribed estradiol valerate for a months for her to take, we thought hormone is the fuel for tumor ? Could you help us to know more about the possible benefit for this hormone in take ?

Thanks
Jim

Dr. Tamer Fouad
Medical Doctor

Re: estrogens usage after radiotherapy

Postby Dr. Tamer Fouad » Sat May 22, 2010 11:45 am

Hello,
I apologize for the delayed response but I thought I would answer all the same. I hope your mother is doing well. What kind of pelvic tumor are we talking about - was it an endomtrial (uterine) carcinoma? a squamous cell cancer of the cervix? Please elaborate.

I believe, the estradiol she was prescribed would not be related to her diagnosis of cancer? You are right that there are convincing reports about the increased risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer with the use of estradiol. In the case of endometrial (uterine) cancer this risk refers to patients with an intact uterus not those who have had it removed.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Tamer Fouad, MD
MB, BCh, MSc Internal Medicine.
Consultant of Hematology - Oncology.

Return to “Sarcoma”