Lymph node behind left ear

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
lanark2

Lymph node behind left ear

Postby lanark2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I am a reasonably healthy 30 year-old male. About three weeks ago I went to my doctor with a swollen lymph node (2cm) behind my left ear. I also felt warm flashes and a general sense of malaise. My doctor told me that it was probably just the flu and to return in 3 months if the lump did not recede. I still feel quite run down and now I have a slight discomfort in my arm pits and a slight muscle discomfort in my neck and shoulders. As I am a slight Hypochondriac i do not want to bother anyone... is this a cause for major concerne?

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Safaa Mahmoud » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 am

Hello,

The swelling you have described that is felt behind the ear is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender.

After treatment of infection with adequate course of antibiotics, they should regress in size but never to normal size.

Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are significant and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring. Thus serial clinical examination is essential.

The general symptoms you have described as malaise, muscle pain are non specific and can be symptoms of many conditions including flu.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
This answer does not substitute for direct medical consultation.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud.
MB BCh, MSc Internal Medicine. MD Medical Oncology.
PhD Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Science.

Return to “Lymphoma”