retroauricular node

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
gavanna

retroauricular node

Postby gavanna » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:58 pm

36 y.o female. The ENT forum was closed to new topics. Since Jan. I have had an enlarged, sore retroauricular node. It is maybe 8mm at its largest and somewhat firm. It is larger in the evening and morning and then seems to get smaller or disappear after I am up and around . My ear was also quite sore and ringing so I went to my primary care doctor in Feb. . She removed some impacted wax but told me there was no infection. Immediately after the wax removal , the ear pain, ringing and node went away for a couple of weeks. The ear pain (although to a lesser extent) and the node returned. My doctor looked at the ear again and says she sees no infection or wax . She says the node is so tiny she can barely feel it and she does'nt seem to believe me when I tell her it fluctuates. I read that touching the node can inflame it so I did not touch it for 2 weeks and it is still the same. I am still having ear pain and the area around the node is so sore. If I press on the node there is a lot of pain in my ear. Can there be an infection further down where she cannot see? Can a node take this long to resolve? Can this be something else?

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Occasionally lymph nodes can become infected with a bacterial or other type of infection. It is possible that you have an indolent infection in the lymph node such as with an atypical mycobacteria or other bacteria.

This location is pretty rare for a bacterial infection to be but it may be worth a trial of antibiotics to see if it clears up.

I would recommend seeing your doctor for a follow up and further discussing your symptoms.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Lymphoma”