Follow-up for Pulmonary Hypertension

ECG, Cardiac Imaging, Diagnostic Catheterization

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
dacubster

Follow-up for Pulmonary Hypertension

Postby dacubster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm

I am a 24 year old female with severe asthma, bronchitis, hyperthroidism, IST, and anxiety.

While hospitalized last December for November a echocardiogram was performed which showed a reading of 31 mmHg showing mild hypertension as they described it.

My cardiologist said it was unrelated to my heart (she treats me with Toprol for an unexplained fast heart rate). My pulmonoligst ruled out sleep apnea and said it was something that needed to be followed.

From what I have read some say this reading is not significant at all while others claim it may get worse. The only advice my cardiologist wanted me to follow was to repeat an echo once a year.

Well that time has come but my Primary care docotor said that it does not seem important to get it done (I am HMO and need his referral). Is this something I should push for? Also are these readings something I need to followup on and get a second opinion? Are there specific causes that could create this problem and is it likely to get worse or better over time?

Thanks.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Re: Follow-up for Pulmonary Hypertension

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi Dacubster,

Given that your cardiologist recommended you follow up I would have to advise the same. Your pressure reading is borderline high. It may have been an incidental thing that has since resolved but it is safest to be sure.

I would recommend you readdress this issue with your doctor and see what his reasoning for not needing the follow up is. There may be a very good reason.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Cardiology Diagnostics”