Nephrology Symptoms

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Seattle

Nephrology Symptoms

Postby kermode » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:09 am

I am a 59 year-old male. I had my left kidney removed 4.5 years ago as a result of renal cancer. The cancer was discovered only after several visits to my internal medicine M.D., when I insisted on a CT scan. The tumor was very large, and very aggressive. Since then, I have had regular follow-up visits to a nephrologist. All tests have indicated that my remaining kidney is functioning normally. My nephrologist has told me that I now need to see him only once a year. However, I am concerned because I continue to have many of the same symptoms that preceded my original diagnosis. These are: bloating after meals, significant pitting edema in both legs, edema in both hands (especially fingers) and foamy bubbles in my urine each time I void. In addition, for the past year, I have had frequent episodes of what I believe is hypoglycemia (shaking, dizziness, slurred speech, loss of concentration). Do you believe that I need to seek a second opinion? Do you believe that my symptoms are of any immediate concern? Do you have any recommendations for tests I should have done? Other suggestions? Many thanks for your counsel.

Dan Theman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: US

Second Opinion-YES!

Postby Dan Theman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:30 am


First of all, do not wait on any professional advice on this forum as responses are not timely.

You should definitely get a second opinion. It sounds like you are in nephrotic syndrome and if you are not being treated for the edema and proteinuria then you should be. Your kidney functions may be stable but depending on the amount of protein you are spilling they could get worse with time. If possible, see a Nephrologist at a medical university for a second opinion. He will either validate your regular physician's protocol or determine that treatment is required. If anything, it will bring you peace of mind. Good luck.

Return to “Nephrology Symptoms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.