Kidneys cause low K+ levels?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
KDCwv32

Kidneys cause low K+ levels?

Postby KDCwv32 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm

I was wondering if my kidneys cause lower K+ levels. It was 3.4 barely low with the min being 3.5. They told me to drink OJ or eat bananas and the next time my K was normal. My next blood test I had 3.2 K level. I drink plenty of water because my kidneys seem to filter better when hydrated. Could this cause the problem too? Am I drinking too much water?

Theresa Jones, RN
Nurse

Re: Kidneys cause low K+ levels?

Postby Theresa Jones, RN » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi KDCwv32 ,
Generally speaking, depleted potassium levels may be caused by severe episodes of vomiting and diarrhea, diuretic medications, impaired renal function, acute renal failure, inadequate diet, etc. To my knowledge I am not aware of water intake affecting potassium levels. A physicians evaluation can determine the causative factor in relationship to the potassium levels. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

Return to “Nephrology Symptoms”