Nephrologist or Urologist?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
AG64

Postby AG64 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:50 am

I'm not sure who to see. I have had recurrent UT infections for years, especially the past 2. I have a lot of pain in my right back (internally, not muscular) just under rib about in the middle of right side (radiates to lower also). My right ankle keeps swelling, especially by evening. A year ago both ankles swelled severely and I had a kidney infection. The swelling went away after several antibiotic treatments for infection. I have had an MRI and Cat scan on my kidney. No identifyed problems. I have had an Xray on my ankle and been tested for rhrumatoid factor. No problems there either. The pain feels like it is in my kidney. The swelling of my ankle is present when the pain is present. Any other tests that I might try to see what this is? I know that something is wrong. Thanks.

Theresa Jones, RN
Nurse

Postby Theresa Jones, RN » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 am

Hi AG64,
Have you had any urine studies, for example, 24 hour urine collection? Have you had an IVP (kidney study)? If not those would be two suggestions as well as having an evaluation by a nephrologist if either of the above tests show abnormalities.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

AG64

Postby AG64 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:09 pm

No I have had neither of the tests (IVP or 24 hr urine collection). My doctor was going to test uric acid levels to check for gout. :cry: Thanks.

Return to “Nephrology Symptoms”