Can't get rid of Persistent Symptoms

Asthma related discussion

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
ron125

Can't get rid of Persistent Symptoms

Postby ron125 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:37 am

In December I was on a plane and the man behind me was very sick. He was coughing, and was extremely congested. Shortly after that I became ill with similar symptoms. Three weeks I went to the doctor and was placed on antibiotics, alupent, and a decongestant. I had a chest xray that was clear but did show a compression deformity of one of the vertebrae. About two weeks later I went back to the doctor because I thought I had cracked a rib from severe coughing. At that time I still had nasal congestion, asthma like symptoms, and was still bringing up clear mucous. The doctor said that he could prescribe a steroid and I said I preferred not to take it. I wound up with more of the same medications minus the antibiotics.

Here I am three months later and now have the following symptoms:
During the day I am mostly ok, except that I occasionally get fatigued and have general malaise.
Have occasional heartburn.
I now cough mostly when wheezing in the evening/night.
Get congested at night and occasionally produce clear mucous.
The symptoms occur mostly when lying down. I am now taking over the counter medications that seem to help along with drinking coffee.

I thought I might have allergies but allegra hasn’t helped.

Theresa Jones, RN
Nurse

Postby Theresa Jones, RN » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:48 am

Hi ron125,
Pulmonary function studies is an excellent tool to evaluate lung function. If this diagnostic has not been completed I would suggest to inquire about this with your physician. Also medications such as inhalers for example, may help improve wheezing etc.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

ron125

Postby ron125 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:18 am

I had a CT scan of the sinues that was normal. For the past month I have been on Flunisolide Nasal solution that seems to help with some of symptoms. I stll can't sleep through the night becasue laying down after a while cause me to get congested. My next appointment with the doctor is at the end of this month. I would bet that my pulmonary functins are ok as I have recently started swimming 30-40 minutes daily with out any problems.

Return to “Asthma”