extremly sudden onset diarrhea

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
jas22p

extremly sudden onset diarrhea

Postby jas22p » Thu May 10, 2007 1:53 am

1. 37
2. female
3. none
4. none
5. none
6. zoloft

Hello. I am a 37 year old women who today had a very sudden attack of diarrhea. I've been doing some online research, and it sounds like fecal incontinence. I was outside walking, and felt like I had to use the toilet, but not urgently. I had no stomach ache or cramps, and have never been constipated. All of a sudden, I felt like I couldn't hold it in, and quickly made it to a bathroom. I thought I had made it in time, but my underwear were extremely soiled (also down my legs, etc.) with feces about the consistency of oatmeal. I had not felt this feces leak out. I have never experienced anything like this before, and had no symptoms leading up. What could have caused this, and is it likely to happen again?

Thank you for your help. This is a wonderful service!

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:46 pm

There are several causes of sudden onset diarrhea, mainly bacterial and viral infections.

With the rapid onset it may be toxin related (such as a toxin from a food poisoning.

If your diarrhea persists you may want to see a doctor for some stool studies.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”