gastroparensis caused by occupational exposure?

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
callum07

gastroparensis caused by occupational exposure?

Postby callum07 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:06 am

Hi, I'm a 32 year old female. I've been suffering from severe Dysphasgia and Odynophagia for 3-4 months. My doctor recently performed a upper endoscopy and diagnosed Gastroparesis and bile reflux. I have not been vomiting at all. I've had a barium swallow that showed no abnormalities, CT and MRI scans of my neck, also numerous blood tests, all normal. I have pre-existing Hashimoto's, and discoid lupus. This on-going illness was first diagnosed as a virus, than treated as a thyroid problem, yet all thyroid blood tests have been normal as well as an ultrasound of the thyroid indicated no nodules or abnormalities. I take Apri, Synthroid, Prilosec and my doctor recently has put me on Reglan. So far my symptoms haven't improved. My question is, over the past year, (I have only been working there for the past year) I've been frequently exposed to large amounts spray glue adhesive at my work. Is it at all possible that chemical exposure could have contributed to my current issues? I should add that while I have a history of autoimmune problems, no such history exists with my family. Family history: maternal grandmother had diabetes and died of heart disease. living mother and three brothers all healthy. Thank you any suggestions you may have.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi Callum07,

It's possible that the exposure may be causing some problems although I don't think it is very likely to be the culprit. I'm not particularly familiar with this exposure risk, though.

I would suggest you talk with your local poison control. They are the toxin experts and will be able to give you some very good information regarding side effects of glue exposure. There number (in the USA) is 1-800-222-1222. This is a nation-wide number that will connect you to the nearest poison control.

Best wishes.

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”