Belches taste like tar???

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
lost_soul

Belches taste like tar???

Postby lost_soul » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi. About 3 days ago I had (i think) a virus that caused me to have a headache, VERY bad nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea.. Now, (and for the past 2 days) I haven't been able to eat or drink much due to the horrible nausea that won't go away,diarrhea still and when i belch it tastes really bad... kind of like what tar smells like (does that make any sense?). I am 26, female, not pregnant, non-smoker, non-drinker, etc. What could this be and should i be worried?????? If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks!!

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Belches taste like tar???

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Hello,
I suspect you were getting some reflux of bile. Sometimes when your stomach is empty of food but you are still vomiting, bile is all that is there. This can be very nasty-tasting. Hopefully it was a transcient problem and you are better now, able to tolerate food, etc. If it continues you should be checked for GERD (esophogeal reflux). Of course you can take antacids if that helps.

Good luck.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”