Fleet colonoscopy prep and E-Lyte

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
countrygirl

Fleet colonoscopy prep and E-Lyte

Postby countrygirl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:40 pm

I am having colonoscopy next week and have read that during the prep with fleet ( sodium phosphate) it is advisable to drink an electolyte solution E-Lyte.

I cannot find any advice on how much E-Lyte or any other electrolyte solution I should drink during the prep with fleet. All information states that tolerance of prep with fleet and incidence of electrolyte imbalance is greatly improved if you also drink a carbohydrate electolyte solution but nowhere does it say how much of the solution.

The colonoscopy unit of my hospital in UK cannot help.

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Fleet colonoscopy prep and E-Lyte

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Hello,
I would have to advise you to do whatever prep your doctor prescribes and nothing more. Different formulations are available to do the job but you should not experiment on your own. If you have questions about this, it should be directed to the doctor who will do the procedure. I'm sorry I cannot be more help but I do believe in following doctor's orders to the letter when it comes to such things as it would be a shame to be denied the procedure because you took something he/she did not want you to have.

Good luck with the procedure. The prep is the only hard part about it.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”