Pain In Chest/Abdomen Right Side Below Ribs

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
jonesey

Pain In Chest/Abdomen Right Side Below Ribs

Postby jonesey » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi. Yesterday evening I started to get this pain in the chest/abdomen on the right side a bit below the ribs. Now I have to walk hunched forward or lie down to avoid the pain. The pain is dull and the area is tender if I press it at the right spot. This has been going on for around 10 hours so far. I seem to have no other symptoms at the moment, but a few days ago I had some sharp needle like pains between my scrotum and rectum, could've been the urethra, going on for a few weeks but they have gone away. Dunno if these two are related.

What could it be?

Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant

Re: Pain In Chest/Abdomen Right Side Below Ribs

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello,
The scrotum pain and right upper abdominal pain can be related when considering a kidney stone...or urinary tract infection included kidney infection.

Other possible causes of acute right upper abdominal are gall bladder disease (including acute inflamation), liver disease, lower right lung inflamation or infection, colon issues, and stomach problems.

With numerous potential causes, it is important to have a physician evaluate you.

Is there any nausea or vomiting, any cough, any fever? Any constipation or diarrhea? Does the pain improve or worsen with food or fluid intake...or after having a bowel movement.

Related to the first point, does it hurt to pee?

Again, seek medical attention.

Let us know how things turn out.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”