PLEASE CAN SOME ONE HELP ME!! =(

Stomach, intestinal and colon diseases

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
julie nova

PLEASE CAN SOME ONE HELP ME!! =(

Postby julie nova » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:36 am

To whom it may concern!
I've noticed that during my bowel movement i have some orange oiliy liquid coming out at 1st i thought is because of some thing i've ate but now its been happening for 3days
last time i had a "normal" bowel movement was 3days ago. Also the very first time i've seen orangy oily liquid my bowel was coming out piece by piece in a big round shape not sure if this important information, i figured that i'll give u as much details as possible. I'm not on any meds. Every one i've asked no one knows what it is. I've tried to find some kind info. on the Internet. no luck there. U R MY LAST AND ONLY HOPE!!!
Please help me.

Thank you,
Julie
JN
=)

Dr. Tamer Fouad
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Tamer Fouad » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:30 am

Hello julie,
Thanks for stopping by The Doctors Lounge!
The discoloration of stools is a very subjective matter and so it would be difficult to interpret over the internet. However, in the broadest sense, stools that are more or less orange in color could results from beta-carotene (a form of vitamin A) or intake of food containing beta carotene (carrots, sweet potatoes etc). One other possiblity is a liver problem.
However, in your description you mentioned something more important than the color and that is the oily substance. This strongly points towards a condition known as steatorrhea (fat in stools). This could be the result of malabsorption which in turn is caused by many diseases.
I would strongly recommend a stool analysis. If fat is found in your stools further investigation is necessary to establish a diagnosis of steatorrhea. A stool exam would also exclude other abnormalities if present.

Please check our steatorrhea page for more info.
Dr. Tamer Fouad, MD
MB, BCh, MSc Internal Medicine.
Consultant of Hematology - Oncology.

Return to “Gastroenterology Topics”