Combination of 6 medications. Is this safe?

Ask about and discuss antidepressants here.

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
ShirleyK

Combination of 6 medications. Is this safe?

Postby ShirleyK » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 am

I know this person who is on 6 psych meds. They are Seroquel 300mg BID, Xanax 0.50mg Dly, Abilify 15mg Dly, Tapazole 5mg Dly, Rivotril 2mg Dly, and Valium 10mg TID. This seems in excess to me and unsafe. Many times she is just not with us and gets quite scary. Is this a safe combination and what if any labs should be done using these drugs?
Any help would be appreciated.
ShirleyK

Dr. E. Seigle
Psychiatrist

Re: Combination of 6 medications. Is this safe?

Postby Dr. E. Seigle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:26 pm

ShirleyK,

This list of medications contains two classes of medication with more than one medication, and two medications that I am not familiar with; perhaps you are not from the US? If your friend seems confused or over-sedated, you might want to talk to her and let her know, so that she can bring this up with her doctor. One can't say automatically that the medication list is inappropriate simply by looking at the list; however, if there are side effects on your friend's alertness and sharpness, then there may be a concern. Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD

Return to “Antidepressants”