Can I pass chlamydia to my eye?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
angela10

Can I pass chlamydia to my eye?

Postby angela10 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 am

I keep pulling out white, stringy muscus out from the inside of my lower eye lid. It started about winter of 2008 and just seems to be getting worse lately. I did some research this morning and found out there's different types of conjunctivitis; viral, allergic, bacteria...but I noticed that there was one called Chlamydial conjunctivitis. I was treated for chlamydia back in the winter of 2008 (right when this whole eye mucus thing started) and I'm wondering if because of my constant eye-touching, could I have spread chlamydia to my eye?
I didn't even know that was possible.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Can I pass chlamydia to my eye?

Postby Dr.M.jagesh kamath » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello,Yes indeed.One can pass chlamydia from genitalia to eyes by auto inoculation.In contrast endemic trachoma spreads from eye to eye. Non genital transmission can occur also from infants to family members and medical personnel.Diagnosis is by demonstrating the organism from the secretions from the infected eye.Treatment would include treatment of genital infection also.
Best wishes.
Dr.M.Jagesh kamath MBBS. Dvd Consultant dermatologist

Return to “Sexually Transmitted Diseases”