Neisseria meningitidis

Discuss other infectious diseases here.

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
xomfgitsjohnnny

Neisseria meningitidis

Postby xomfgitsjohnnny » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm

How do i explain that my patient has a Neisseria meningitidis blood poisoning that is causing her purple rash?
How do i explain to her how the bacteria is defending itself against her immune system, and how that induces disease. And why treatment will not fully resolve the problem until the immune system reacts.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Neisseria meningitidis

Postby Dr.M.jagesh kamath » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:10 am

Hello,I guess you are a medical student,or paramedical and nice to see you a concerned person.The person with a meningococcal infection is mostly a very sick person and would not be in a position to listen to be explained.This condition is a medical emergency with high fevers,chills,non blanching rash,and complicated by bleeding.Septic shock leading to death also is a concern.Gram-ve diplococci in CSF would suggest the diagnosis.They are treated in intensive care, with antibiotics in fulminant cases.Uncomplicated cases recover well with timely treatment.Best wishes.
Dr.M.Jagesh kamath MBBS. Dvd Consultant dermatologist

Return to “Other infections”