Severe swelling in both ankles, no recent injury

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
LeTigre2010

Severe swelling in both ankles, no recent injury

Postby LeTigre2010 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I have severe swelling in both my ankles and on my foot all the way to my toes. I have injured both my ankles when I played sports. However, that was years ago. As revent as last year I had a hairline fracture in my right foot. But, I havent had any issues with that since it healed. The weird part is that the pain is only moderate. I can still walk on both ankles with little pain. But the severity of the swelling doesnt add up to the lack of pain im experiencing. Im concerned that this may be a symptom of something more serious. I was wondering if by the description I provided someone can tell me what might be the cause to the swelling.

Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant

Re: Severe swelling in both ankles, no recent injury

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Hello,
You have reported bilateral foot swelling without recent trauma but remote history of ankle trauma and hairline fracture.
It does not seem that the old injuries are the cause of the problem since both feet have swollen at the same time.
I also assume you are not pregnant which can cause swelling.
Other areas to consider are:
    kidney and liver problems
    circulatory problems in the legs
    heart failure (unlikely in a 26 y.o. female without cardiac history and no current symptoms of shortness of breath, chest pain, or irregular heart beat)
    leg arthritis

At other times we do not find a cause and recommend exercise, salt restriction, and leg elevation.

Your family physician can take a thorough history and do a physical exam and order some blood test, urine analysis, x-ray if needed, and doppler ultrasound to check leg circulation if needed.

Take care and let us know how it goes.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Bone trauma and fractures”