Finger Swollen and Bruised from Basketball

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Sarah92

Finger Swollen and Bruised from Basketball

Postby Sarah92 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am

When playing with a basketball one evening, a friend bounce-passed a ball fairly hard to me, but instead of catching it, the ball hit the underside of my littlest finger on my left hand and I could feel it bending too far backwards. It was painful when it happedned and for the rest of the day I couldn't really use it, lean on it or anything as it hurt.

The following morning most of the underside of my finger (and the area slightly below) had turned bluish/purple/grey nearly up to the tip and the back part has bruised a bit on the joint area. Also my finger has swelled up a bit.
I can still move my finger a little forwards and backwards but I can hardly bend it.

It's been nearly 2 days and it's pretty much the same, I don't know what's happened to my finger and was wondering if it is either nothing to worry about and it will heal properly by itself or could it be anything serious that it's worth getting it checked out?

Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant

Re: Finger Swollen and Bruised from Basketball

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello,
The little finger has been sprained and should heal with time. The discoloration is bruising and will decrease with time. For the next few days, buddy taping the 4th and 5th digits together will splint and protect the injured finger. Afterward, start gentle motion.
If the finger worsens or does not improve, see a physician.
Take care.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Bone trauma and fractures”