Broken rib caused pulled ab muscle?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Braap105

Broken rib caused pulled ab muscle?

Postby Braap105 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:06 pm

So i was riding motocross the other day and took a spill and slammed my left middle side of my ribs. this hurt pretty bad but wasnt to terrible, i got up and rode a bit more but it was definatly hurting and affecting my riding. so i took it easy for a week, then i rode a pedal bike 24 miles 6 days later, that was all good and felt like i was healing and what not, so i rode my dirt bike the next day. was a little sore but nothing to bad/unexpected. then the next day after do relativly nothing, i started get a sharp pain on the underside of my left side middle 6 pack muscle. i have no idea why or whats causeing this. and it really hurts when i stretch out a bit, and or twist my torso. its been like this for the past few days and im not sure what going on. any help would be great. no i am in really good shape, and im only 18 years old. just wondering if i should actually go to the doctor or just take it easy for some time till it feels better?

Dr.M.Aroon kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Broken rib caused pulled ab muscle?

Postby Dr.M.Aroon kamath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi,
Although the fall about 2 weeks earlier could have potentially caused rib fractures, your history does not suggest it very much.The pain due to fracture of a rib will usually aggravate on breathing in, or while coughing or sneezing.

You seem to be experiencing pain in the vicinity of the left rectus abdominis muscle(the "six-pack" muscle). One possible explanation for your symptoms is a partial tear of the rectus muscle. This could have been aggravated by by the dirt bike riding or some other activity/posture.

These tears usually are managed non-operatively(rest, analgesics and cold compresses in the acute phase). In some cases, if accompanied by a large hematoma, then they may need an aspiration or open drainage.

It will be safer for you to show it to your family doctor and get treated.
Best wishes!
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

Return to “Bone trauma and fractures”