Forehead still has pains after fall (6weeks approx)

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Dipps

Forehead still has pains after fall (6weeks approx)

Postby Dipps » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 am

I fell down some concrete steps and then onto the rock beach hitting my head very hard. after a few days i went to the hospital (my eye had gone black and swollen and a large lump appeared on my head) and had my skull x rayed amongst other tests. i was advised to go back if the pain moved from the lump i had on my head, but, it always stayed in this location.
now, approx 6 weeks later, i still have a slight lump and the bone in my forehead feels a bit dented, but the thing that concerns me is that every now and then i get a sharp pain where i hit my head, the pain doesn't normally last that long but it can be very painful for a few minutes.
Do you think it is worth me going back to the hospital, after all this time, or could i just be worrying about nothing.

Many thanks

Dr.M.Aroon kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Forehead still has pains after fall (6weeks approx)

Postby Dr.M.Aroon kamath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi,
From your history, it appears that you had developed a scalp hematoma following the fall. Relatively fresh scalp hematomas, on palpation, often feel as though the skull bone itself is depressed. Such "true" depressions of the cranial vault do occur in newborns and infants("pond fractures") as their bones are very thin.

Scalp hematomas (like hematomas elsewhere in the body), organize and then gradually disappear. Small hematomas would generally be expected to have resolved by 6 weeks.Perhaps it was somewhat larger in your case. If there is any associated headache or vomiting, one must report to the doctor urgently. In any case, it may not be a bad idea to visit your family doctor for an assessment.
Best wishes!
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

Dipps

Postby Dipps » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:29 am

many thanks for the advise

Dr.M.Aroon kamath
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr.M.Aroon kamath » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Dipps,
Thank you for your reply. I hope all is well by now. Good luck!
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

Return to “Bone trauma and fractures”