Back pain

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
wanza639

Back pain

Postby wanza639 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 am

I am a 45 year old male and had been having back pain for the last six years. MRI confirmed that I suffered if I am not mistaken PID (don't really undrstand what it is) First I was prescribed with vioxx and now I am taking celebrex. However I wll only take the medication whenever the pain is severe. This usually occurs when I stood or sat for a long period, or when I walked up and down the stairs. There is also numbness on the left side of my body. When I discussed with my doctor he said the only solution to my situation is by having an operation. I would like a second opinion. Is there any other procedures that I can take?

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Back pain can be very challenging. When one begins having symptoms such as numbness, it is indicative that there is some nerve involvement, usually compression of the nerve near the spine.

Surgery can be helpful sometimes but should really be considered as a last resort because back surgery is fraught with complications.

Sometimes physical therapy can be helpful.

I would advise you to get a second evaluation from another back surgeon. Most spine surgeons are reluctant to operate unless there really is no other option due to the potential risks. Sometimes there really are no other treatment options and surgery is the best choice. In these cases, the benefits outweigh the risks and make the surgery worthwhile.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Spinal problems and back pain”