Sat On a Chair Without Back Support - Neural/Spinal Damage?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
BobKim

Sat On a Chair Without Back Support - Neural/Spinal Damage?

Postby BobKim » Sun May 17, 2009 4:02 pm

The other day I just sat on a chair that didn't have the back support attached. It looks like this chair (http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/image ... _chair.jpg), but without the red support attached, so it's basically a pole-like shape. I was tired and sleep-deprived so I stupidly decided to sit down with my upper weight on that thin pole, thinking it would be just uncomfortable. Instead, when I put my weight on that thin pole, a pain shot through my back and my reflexes allowed me to get off the chair. My middle and lower back was aching throughout the day. Now it's fine (2nd day), but with some minimal aching. Is there permanent spinal/neural damage? I think it will heal completely by the 3rd day.

Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant

Re: Sat On a Chair Without Back Support - Neural/Spinal Damage?

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Hello,
The main nerves and spinal cord are seated deep within the spine protected from pointy pole chairs.

The sensation was likely due to local irritation of the skin or an awkward sitting position and should heal well within 7 days.

Take care.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Spinal problems and back pain”