Concern about HCG levels

Questions related to pregnancy and delivery

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
mslayla

Concern about HCG levels

Postby mslayla » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm

I am 30yo female my ninth pregnancy Ive had a fetal demisex2 tubal pregnancy and blighten ovum and other miscaraiges ( i do have 2 boys alive though) prone to miscarriage to do thrombophilia, Endo, high blood pressure.
my lmp was 9/3 I am 5 wks 2 days pregnant. I took my first beta hcg on Sunday 10/8/07 my levels were 2320 today 10/11/07 almost 3 full days later my levels are only 4176.
this is not doubling fast enough right?
why wont my doctor give me an ultra sound? I never blead when i miscarried they think cause i havent blead that nothing is wrong. with the blighten ovum, my levels rose but they didnt double. doctors are making me drag this out and i had pregnancy symptoms for 10 days then overnight there gone.
docs telling me some woman wont have symptoms then the other doc tells me i should know how to feel when pregnant cause its my 9th pregnancy. but I was feeling possitive untill last thursday i woke up and felt "different" my breast do not hurt at all any more Im only 5 wks 2 days how can my symptoms go away so fast? i am having such bad headaches and down my neck im dizzy too and i go to the emergency room they said its just hormones.
can you please tell me what these numbers mean at the rate they are going please thank you.
Medications: Metoprol hctz
baby aspirin
prenatal vitamin

ThreePrinces

Postby ThreePrinces » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 am

I am so sorry about your losses. I have had 4 miscarriages myself, as well as years of infertility. I am extremely blessed and lucky to have 3 beautiful living little boys now.

Unfortunately, your betas are not doubling. There should be doubling (or very close to it) every 48 hours. If yours did not double after 3 days, I'd say that is not a good sign. However, there have been miracles before!!!

Fingers crossed for you.

mslayla

Postby mslayla » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Thank You for responding.to my concern! Thanks for being honest. im not trying to be unrealistic. My doctors office called today to send me to the perinatologist on monday instead of thursday but i can not sleep i "know" my body and the nurse said that the levels gone up and thats a good sign and it isnt because withthe bligten ovum my levels gone up too and i never blead with any of my losses. they are trying but what will it hurt to do ultra sound cause my levels say i am 6 wks but im not 6 yet and ithought that once your levels get to 2000 something can be seen on ultrasound.
Thanks

ThreePrinces

Postby ThreePrinces » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Mslayla~

I was thinking about your post today while I was driving and a couple of thoughts occurred to me:

First, do you know what cycle day you ovulated by chance? Because how many days past ovulation you are could really effect beta #s. If your beta is 4000+, then you're probably around 20 days past ovulation or so, so about 5 weeks gestation.

Second, any chance there could have been twins? I was just thinking about how close you were to doubling, even though it was 3 days and not 2 days. Sometimes if you had the beginning of a twin pregnancy, and then one of the babies dies; your betas can slow down. So if you had 2 babies there for little while, and say one died in between these two beta draws you had; then your number would not double. I don't know if that's making any sense.

I read somewhere that a lot more twins are conceived than people think; and one of the babies dies before it is ever discovered. Most women do not get betas drawn, and do not have ultrasounds before 8 weeks. (that's mainly reserved for those of us with infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss.)

..and you're right, after your beta reaches 2000 the pregnancy should be visible by ultrasound. However, at this point you'd probably only be able to see a fetal pole and yolk sac. It might be best to wait another week so that you can (hopefully!) see a heartbeat. That will give you a lot of peace of mind.

I'm not a doctor, I've just spent a very long time dealing with infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss and seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist. I learned a lot. =)

I'd love to help in any other way I can!

mslayla

Postby mslayla » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:06 am

THree princess
i hope you get this email im not sure how to navigate this sight just yet i wanted to thank you so much for thinking of me and my situation.
my doc sais im a very unique case.. i am scheduled for surgery on wednesday i have an ectopic pregnacny 3 ultra sounds done and my hcg still rising but at first 2 sacs were seen then 3 days later they told me still psuedo sacs possible ectopic.
so yes it over with this one and i knew it i have dealt with this so many times and it just dragging and making this so hard. but thank you so much for responding
laylajai74@yahooo

Return to “Obstetrics”