Pregnancy risks after Gestational Diabetes?

Questions related to pregnancy and delivery

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
l30

Pregnancy risks after Gestational Diabetes?

Postby l30 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi.

I have two children and had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies.

During my first pregnancy I managed it without insulin. During my later pregnancy I had severe gestational diabetes (even though I'd lost quite a few pounds) and needed insulin injections (around 60 units per day the last week). The babies were both an average weight and their blood sugar was fine after delivery. I had no other problems like pre-eclampsia or high blood pressure and I'm only a few pounds over weight.

My question for you is: Is it alright for me to try to conceive another baby or can gestational diabetes get dangerously out of control with the next one? I know I'll probably need insulin again but what are the odds of me harming myself or the baby? The doctors didn't mention I shouldn't have more children but the diabetes sort of scares me.

Thanks,
Lilja.

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Pregnancy risks after Gestational Diabetes?

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Hello,
I would not expect any worsening of symptoms in subsequent pregnancies - it does not seem to progress this way. Gestational diabetes is very common and it's so good that the doctors now screen for it routinely as the greatest concern is with the out-of-control diabetic. Well-controlled GDM generally results in a healthy mom and baby.

Having had this in pregnancy does predispose you to the possibility of developing type 2 diabetes in the future but it doesn't cause this; just suggests that you might be more prone to it than some other people. Whatever causes it in pregnancy could also cause it in later life. You could do some things to help prevent this however. Regular exercise, a diet low in refined sugars, and maintaining a healthy weight can all help prevent diabetes.

Best wishes and good luck with your plans.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Obstetrics”