Post IUC pregnancy testing.

Questions related to pregnancy and delivery

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
mrssib

Post IUC pregnancy testing.

Postby mrssib » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

I had the Mirena IUC for 6 years and recently had it removed when we decided to have another child. The IUC made me amenoric and even after it was removed I continue to not have a period. I had the IUC removed on 12/2/08, I tested with a home pregnancy test yesterday (01/22/09) and got a faded pink line next to the solid pink line indicating a positive result, could this be acurate? How do you know when to test if you do not have a period?

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Post IUC pregnancy testing.

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 pm

Hello,
Most women who are pregnant get other symptoms as well as missed periods such as breast tenderness, nausea, fatigue, etc. This is one way you could decide when to take a home test. Remember these tests have only been available for a very little while and prior to this, we usually waited much longer to learn of pregnancy. This is not concerning if you are taking care of yourself, avoiding risky behaviors such as smoking, drugs, and alcohol, and taking a multivitamin in case you do become pregnant. I assume this is your goal, though you did not indicate your plan.

If you are not pregnant chances are that your periods will resume in a few months. If not, see your doctor to determine if there is anything that needs attention.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Obstetrics”