Pain 1 week after period

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
dmc

Pain 1 week after period

Postby dmc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi,

I am experiencing ovarian pain (right side) and it is only one week after my period. My last period was very light. I generally am on a 35 day cycle with 3-5 days of bleeding. I have an appt with a gyn in about 2 months, but was wondering if you could give me an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Dr. Tamer Fouad
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Tamer Fouad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Hello,

Have you excluded pregnancy?

Mittelschmerz is one-sided lower abdominal pain that occurs in women at or around the time of ovulation. About 20% of women experience mittelschmerz. Mittelschmerz may be felt on one side one month, then switch to the opposite side the next month, or it may be felt on the same side for several months in succession.

It could be the result of a hormonal disturbance which is common and self regulatory.

Acute pelvic pain in a woman on one side may also result from hemorrhagic corpus luteum cysts, intraperitoneal hemorrhage or leakage of an irritating fluid from a cyst (such as a ruptured teratoma), ruptured tubal pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, or torsion of an adnexa.

After you exclude pregnancy it would be a good idea to have an evaluation.

Best regards.
Dr. Tamer Fouad, MD
MB, BCh, MSc Internal Medicine.
Consultant of Hematology - Oncology.

Return to “Gynecology”